How does food waste impact sustainability?
The checkoff recently published another fact sheet in a series responding to "Tough Questions about Beef Sustainability." The series intent is to provide high-level answers to some of the more challenging and complex issues related to beef sustainability. The fact sheet, “How does food waste impact sustainability?” examines food waste from production to consumption, its impact on the environment, and opportunities for improvement.
Beef Sustainability Fact Sheets
In a nod to its mission to maintain consumer confidence in beef as a sustainable food, the checkoff-funded beef sustainability program has developed an informative series of fact sheets called “Tough Questions about Beef Sustainability.” These fact sheets provide straightforward answers to some of the complex questions about sustainability of beef. Recently released Fact Sheet 14, “Are residues of the growth hormones used in cattle in our drinking water?,” shows that while cattle producers have been using hormone implants in cattle for more than 50 years in order to increase growth rates and feed efficiency, no evidence exists that these technologies impact human drinking water supplies.
Additional Beef Checkoff Resources:
Research - Archive
- Exploring Cooking-Steak Fails (March)
- Stewardship Content Evaluation (March)
- Starting With Beef as a First Food (December)
- Harvest Market Showcases Beef (December)
- Guiding Beef Quality Research (November)
- Beefing Up the Bacon Market with Schmacon (November)
- Understanding Effects of Carcass Maturity (August)
- Understanding Beef Flavor (July)
- Detecting Foodborne Pathogens (July)